Sunday, January 17, 2016

little reminders


This is the gorgeous Atlanta, Georgia temple. 



One dreary day in March, I had the day off of work and decided to go to the temple. It's only about a half an hour from where we live and going mid-morning seemed perfect to avoid crazy Atlanta traffic. Somehow it was still pretty stressful getting there, probably because of the rain and the fact that I am terrified of the freeway system in Atlanta. But I made it and had a beautiful experience inside a beautiful building. As I was leaving, I was listening to my favorite hymns by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir in my car and decided to turn around for a picture. Once I did, I started my gps to take me home.

I was pondering some thoughts that I had in the temple and was really pretty emotional about the things going on in our life at the time. I was struggling to find joy through the stresses we were experiencing and I was grateful for the peace that my time at the temple brought. Then suddenly I saw brake lights and I slammed on my own brakes harder than I ever have, but it was just a tiny bit too late. I barely tapped the back bumper of the car stopped in front of me. Seriously, it was the smallest accident one could ever be in, but it rattled me to my core since it was technically my very first accident. Because of my inexperience and lack of education, we decided to call the police and have them come check it out. Basically, I was a wreck and a half even though there was absolutely 100% nothing wrong with either car or person or anything. It didn't help matters that I still ended up taking a wrong turn after that and making my trip home even longer.

I was so mad that I had gotten into a car accident after being so diligent and going to the temple! Why would that happen?? Why did the Lord allow me to get a ding on our car insurance and record of our brand new car, have to go to court to pay a fine, and really just hurt my pride??

Embarrassingly, yes. Those were my exact thoughts as I cried and ate ice cream bundled in blankets on the couch until Kyron got home from class that afternoon.

Thankfully, I started to realize how incredibly awful I was acting. For one thing, that accident could have been ten million times worse and I was so so blessed that it was nothing at all. but even if it had been at all worse, who am I to question God's plan for me? The accident was definitely the straw that broke this camel's back with all that I was dealing with emotionally at the time. Clearly this was a lesson I needed to learn.

  And clearly the lesson was to hold onto the truths I know and let the Lord take over the rest.  He has a way of reminding me that He is the gardener and He knows who He wants me to be. And He loves me enough to cut me down. And I couldn't be more grateful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment